If you love scones why not dress them up with some strawberries!
Go onnnnn next time you are baking scones be adventurous and bake them with strawberries!
Makes 16-20 wedge shaped scones
You shall need:
- 375grams self raising flour
- 200g unsalted butter
- 100g sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 150ml milk
- 100ml buttermilk
- About 2 handfuls of strawberries – I used about 10 medium sized ones – sliced.
What to do
- Preheat your oven t0 160 degrees C. Line and grease a baking sheet or flat tin
- Rub the flour (with the baking and bread soda added in) and the butter together until they resemble coarse breadcrumbs. You can give them a blitz in a food processor either, just don’t overdo it.
- Mix in the sugar and give it a stir so that its evenly throughout the mixture.
- Add the sliced strawberries and stir.
- Make a well in the middle and add your liquid, leaving about a tablespoon of it left. Mix it until it’s all combined.
- Turn out onto a well floured surface and knead lightly.
- Divide into halves, shape each half into a disc about an inch thick and cut into 8-10 wedges each.
- Place on your prepared tray, brush each one with a little of the leftover milk (which you can mix with an egg if you want really shiny scones) and bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until golden on top!
- Serve with clotted cream and an optional spoon of jam.
original recipe website http://cakeinthecountry.com